Friday, January 8, 2010

Blogging Perfects Your Craft


This week as I listened to a Media Hacks Podcast by Mitch Joel of Twist Image (www.TwistImage.com), I realized that writing a blog is a task that hones your skills, knowledge and mind.

When chatting with a friend today (can I say “chatting with a friend” even though we were emailing each other?) I told her that blogging was like therapy. Although my blog is not really a personal journal of my life like some great blogs are, the writing of my articles makes me stop, be silent (it’s the one time I turn my ipod off) and I get grounded to what is going on around me. I stop reading tweets, emails, answering the phone and I close IM.

The silence then turns into sounds of the keys on the keyboard (lots of sounds as I hit the backspace button more than anything) as I write my next blog post. Blog posts looks easy (I bet some are) - just like chocolate chip cookies look easy to make, but there is thought and effort that goes into each post or batch of cookies. Writing and blogging perfects your craft - whatever your craft or passion is, be it cooking, politics or ant farms. It’s like we have mini essays that are due everyday - we think... do some research... draft.... redraft then POST!



The learning that each blogger gets from the writing experience is why bloggers blog - well maybe not for everyone, but I am sure that bloggers that blog for fame or other reasons have also learnt a lot from the hours they spent writing.

So continue to blog, followers or no followers, and if you are not blogging but you are thinking about it - just jump right in and figure it out as you go. The learning awaits you!

SBK (Shannon) contact me: sbkelsick@gmail.com

Picture by Scott Prince www.inthepitchblack.com
For great info on Blogging check out: Liz Stauss http://www.successful-blog.com/

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
We Support UEnd: We're helping end poverty!