Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Is Your FACE Important To Your Blogging Success?


Is it important to put a face and a personality to my business and blog? Should I use a logo or picture for my profiles on Blogger and Twitter? The word on Twitter is that it is highly recommended to have a picture on your profile - and that if you don't people won't trust you as much as they would with a real profile picture along side your name. So personality and your mug shot do count right?

I often feel the need to like the author of the blog that I am following. And I have found myself straying away from blogs where I am beginning not to like the person - even though these people have very good blogs with very relevant and useful information.

Getting people to like you is important for your blog.

I have felt a bit special when Mitch Joel (Six Pixels of Seperation @mitchjoel) sent me a DM (direct message on Twitter), and when Liz Strauss (www.successful-blog.com @lizstrauss) mentioned (thanked) me on Twitter for mentioning her articles and blogs - I even sent her a message asking what time is a good time to post blogs - and she replied (to little old me!) quite quickly. I don't think I would have had that interaction without Twitter.

And what that interaction does is make me feel closer to Liz and Mitch, it makes me like them more, and it makes me more loyal to thier brand, and yes I feel that I like Mitch and Liza as people, even though I have never met them - I like their brand.

Social Media has changed the way we commit to brands. The shift in branding has put faces to brands and accessibility to these people that makes us feels like you can reach out and touch them.

So do we want our customers or fans to feel like they can reach out and touch us? (you know what I mean!). That is what Social Media is all about today.

Yes you can build a business and a brand that is at an arms length from customers, but if you are embracing social media as a marketing tool let down your guard and let people get to know you.

Mixing our personalities with our online brand

It feels imposturous not to inject personality into my blog, as I type along censoring out anything that relates to my family, or my "business learnings" (aka: failures), or what I am wearing while blogging. Would you discredit me because I am writing this in sweatpants while drinking orange juice from a short yellow kids cup? I sure hope not!

Some may believe that your personality is your brand. So here's to embracing our personalities and injecting them into our blogs. Don`t be shy - people might just like us.

SBK (Shannon) contact me: sbkelsick@shaw.ca
Photo by Scott Prince www.inthepitchblack.com



0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
We Support UEnd: We're helping end poverty!